IEEE 1394b/AS5643 Mil1394 (FireWire), Triple-Node Multi-Port, Communications
The FW3 function module provides IEEE 1394b/AS5643 (Mil1394) support on each of its three nodes, which are configured as 2 nodes with 3-ports and 1 node with 2-ports. AS5643 defined flight ready robustness and active transformer isolation to enable longer cable lengths (20 meter) between nodes. Together these standards provide the deterministic and redundant communications protocol required for Vehicle System (Flight Control) Networks. The FW3 multiple ports per node configuration allows the user to create tree, daisy-chain and looped topologies needed to optimize cable length and weight while creating redundancy.
The New Wave DV link-layer controller IP firmware used in the FW3 provides hardware offload of AS5643 defined Start of Frame (STOF) and Anonymous Subscriber Messaging (ASM) packet transmission and reception, thus reducing both the CPU processing power and real-time requirement needed to service theFW3’s deterministic Mil1394 interface when compared with an industry standard 1394 Open Host Controller Interface (OHCI) link-layer controller implementation. This communication function module supports device control and management via a standard native PCIe OS (Linux) FireWire device driver, or other developed operating system PCIe software device drivers.
Mil1394 has emerged as the high-speed deterministic interface of choice for military aerospace Vehicle System networking. Mil1394 applications have been applied to human interface devices (e.g., multi-axis joysticks), propulsion controls and vehicle subsystem management (electrical, hydraulic, environmental control, etc.). Mil1394 has extended this application base to supporting DOD aircraft, rotorcraft, UAV, naval and vehicle platforms requiring a reliable, high-capacity network carrying control information and sensor data between subsystems via local interconnection and communications backbones.
- IEEE 1394b w/ AS5643 (Mil1394): Includes Transceiver Line Interface Module (TLIM) circuit for extended cabling (to 20 meters)
- Node Capacity (maximum): 3-Node; 2 x 3 ports and 1 x 2 ports
- Tri-Node IEEE 1394b: AS5643 offload host controller/link-layer controller with a 3-port (max)1394b PHY per node
- IEEE 1394b PHYsical Layer: IEEE 1394b/AS5643 hardware compatible; AS5643 protocol supported with firmware IP core
- New Wave DV Link-Layer Controller IP Firmware: Offload of AS5643 STOF & ASM
- Throughput / Data Rate Supported: Full x1 PCI Express (PCIe) throughput (aggregate); IEEE 1394b data speeds @ S200b; FW4=S400b and FW5=S100b
- Standards Compliance: Supports provisions of IEEE Std 1394-2008 required for AS5643
- Module ID: FW3: S200b; FW4: S400b (pending); FW5: S100b (pending); Includes appropriate Transceiver Line Interface Module (TLIM) (see following details): Triple-node; two-nodes support 3 ports, and one node supports 2 ports
- Number/Type of Nodes: Three-node (channel) with AS5643 hardware offload link-layer controllers configured as 2 nodes with 3-ports and 1 node with 2-ports.
- Compatibility: IEEE 1394b/AS5643 (Mil1394) compatible IP/FPGA stack protocol. Software SSK available
- SPECIFICATIONS*: *Pending design verification and qualification
- Physical Interface (PHY): IEEE 1394b THREE-PORT CABLE TRANSCEIVER/ARBITER: TSB41BA3F-EP
- Throughput: Full x1 PCI Express (PCIe) throughput (aggregate between the three nodes)
- Maximum Data Rate (pending rate verifications): Three IEEE Std 1394b fully compliant cable ports at: IEEE 1394b speeds of S200b (FW3); S400b & S100b (FW4 & FW5, respectively)
- Standards Compliance: Fully supports AS5643 required provisions of IEEE Std 1394-2008
- Activity Detect: Cable ports monitor line conditions for active connection to remote node
- Transceiver Line Interface Module (TLIM): For interface cable lengths up to 20 meters: TM1062TX3DUA (iNRCORE), S200b & S400b (FW3 & FW4); TM200TX3DUA (iNRCORE), S100b (FW5)
- Power: 5 VDC @ 1.1 A
- Ground: Signals are transformer isolated with TLIM
- Weight: 1.5 oz. (42 g)
The FW3 provides IEEE 1394b (FireWire) / AS5643 (Mil1394) high-speed serial communications. The module is provided with a direct PCIe interface to the local (on-board) processor, or to an external host processor for board platforms that support external PCIe connectivity. This communication function module supports device control and management via a standard native OS (Linux) Fire Wire device driver.
The FW3 module has three IEEE 1394b nodes implemented using three Texas Instruments TSB41BA3F PHYsical Layer devices and a single FPGA that implements three link-layer controllers using the New Wave DV 1394b AS5643 hardware offload engine IP core, which provides hardware-based AS5643 message label filtering and mapping of AS5643 message label to host memory, and complete offload of AS5643 Start of Frame and Asynchronous Subscriber Messages. The three TSB41BA3F PHY devices are configured in 3-3-2 port configuration which allows it to be used in tree, daisy-chain and looped topologies. The link-layer controller interface to the host is through a x1 PCI Express (PCIe) interface.
Accelerate Your Time-to-Mission™ With COSA®
NAI’s Configurable Open Systems Architecture™ (COSA®) offers a choice of over 70 smart I/O, communication, and Ethernet switch functions, providing the highest packaging density and greatest flexibility of any multifunction I/O board in the industry. Preexisting, fully-tested functions can be combined quickly and easily in an unlimited number of ways. Each I/O function has dedicated processing, unburdening the system Single Board Computer (SBC) from unnecessary data management overhead.
Related COSA® Products
Single Board Computers
Nano Interface Units
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
North Atlantic's resource center is where you will find information on warranty and repairs, details of our Product Lifecycle Management and Configuration Management programs – and much more.Visit Resource Center